Being arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) or for driving under the influence of intoxicants (DUII) is only the beginning. Drinking and driving is not only a serious offense and can result in a felony on your record, but drinking and driving is frowned upon by the majority of the population — and for good reason. Many people have been touched in some way by drinking and driving. If you’ve been arrested for drinking and driving, often you’ll face much more scrutiny besides from the cops. You’ll have to face your family, work colleagues, and often strangers since arrests are in the public domain. Below, we’ll detail some of the consequences of being arrested for driving under the influence. Donahue Law Firm, a DUI law firm, can help. If you’re arrested for DUI in the Bend area, contact our criminal defense attorney’s today for a free consultation.
CONSEQUENCES OF BEING ARRESTED FOR DUI
- Arrested, booked, fingerprinted, and the whole nine yards. If you fail field sobriety tests, breath analyzer tests, or the police officer has reasonable reason to suspect you of being drunk, you’ll be arrested, booked, fingerprinted, and charged with driving while under the influence. You may have to post bail to get out, and then you’ll have a myriad of court appearances where you’ll have a chance to defend yourself. This in itself can be a huge embarrassment, especially if you’ve never been arrested before, or you’re a prominent member of your community — even if your community only consists of your family. Having to keep your head up during the entire court process can be challenging. However, when you hire an excellent DUI attorney from Donahue Law Firm in Bend, you’ll have someone in your corner, helping you every step of the way.
- If you are found guilty of a DUI, you may lose your driver’s license, pay a fine, and even do jail time — even if this is your first offense. You’ll be placed on probation and may have to attend a drug and alcohol program. If you think about your daily life and how much you rely on driving from place to place, this consequence of a DUI is life-impacted and will be a huge impediment on your future.
- A misdemeanor will be on your record for life (or a felony conviction if this is not your first time in trouble with the law). This is something not to be taken lightly because this will show up on every background check you ever undergo. Every job you apply for in the future will ask. You may not be able to buy a gun. Your landlord may not rent to you. You may not be able to get college loans, and college scholarships may even be revoked.
- You’ll face higher auto insurance. A DUI signals to insurance companies that you’re a higher risk. You may even be denied coverage, especially in the short-term.
- Your reputation will be tarnished. A DUI conviction is frowned upon by almost everyone. People will automatically think differently about you, even if it was a one-off occurrence. You could even lose your current job. But the worst part will be facing your family afterwards.
- Your health may suffer. When your arrested for a DUI and going through the whole court process, your health may be affected. You are most likely stressed from having to ask friends and colleagues for rides. Your precious free time is now taken up with consulting DUI attorneys such as Donahue Law Firm in Bend, and you’re worried what the future will bring.
Sadly, driving under the influence (DUI) is the most common criminal offense in the United States. This is even more somber when this is such a preventable crime. Donahue Law Firm wants to stress that the best prevention against DUI is to never drive when you’ve had even a little bit of alcohol.
Donahue Law Firm in Bend offers defense services for those accused of DUI. We are compassionate and caring and despite what others say, we are here to give you a voice in your defense. We have years of experience in defending DUI clients, and our reviews and results show we are highly-skilled DUI lawyers. Call us today for a free DUI offense consultation in Bend!